Buying a home is easier than you think!
This is a major decision with a lot to look forward to as a first time home buyer! Now you just have to do the hard part and buy the home of your dreams, but how? There's so much to consider and to get done that it might seem pretty overwhelming. We've put together a comprehensive guide to help you with your home buying process.
First Time Home Buyer Tips:
- Improve Your Credit Score: Having a good credit score is vital when applying for a mortgage so it's important that you stay current on all your bills and avoid making any large purchases or major changes to your credit during the home buying process.
- Hire a Realtor and a Lender: You'll want a team of professionals on your side to help make the whole home buying process easier. At Homestead we put our value on community and working together knowing that our customers benefit from our expertise every step of the process. Take your time when choosing them as you'll want someone you trust and feel you can work well with.
- Determine a Budget: Homestead Funding will help work with you to learn about your potential budget and try to get a good idea about what you can afford by getting pre-qualified or pre-approved. You don't want to fall in love with a house you can't afford, so make sure you work out your budget before diving into your house hunt.
- Decide on Wants and Needs: You'll need to stay level-headed about each home you view and a good way to do this is by making a list of all the things you need in your new house and all the things you want. This will also help your real estate agent find and narrow down listings for you so you don't end up viewing 50 houses that you hate.
- Find a Home: But don't just settle on a home because you think you love it. Visit the property at different times of day, consider the commute, and walk around and research the neighborhood. It's also important to consider resale value for the future.
- Make an Offer: As a First Time Home Buyer negotiating can be intimidating. Your Homestead Funding Loan Originator will help you through the process with your real estate agent. You'll be prepared and know exactly what you can afford. Hopefully your offer will be accepted, but that's still not the end of your negotiations. The house will need to be inspected and appraised which may uncover flaws. Necessary repairs and their cost can be negotiated our network of professionals is there to support all your needs.
- Final Walkthrough: After the inspection it is important that you go through and do your own final walk-through of the home. Test light switches, outlets, and any appliances that you will be keeping. You should also take the time to check water pressure, doors, and other things that you previously couldn't check out as closely. This is your time to make sure you're positive about this house before closing on it.
About Homestead Funding:
Our goal is simple. We want to offer our customers outstanding service and the best mortgage financing to suit their needs. Our mix of traditional and innovative mortgage products gives us the ability to evaluate and deliver a wide variety of competitively priced mortgage financing solutions. We understand that not every situation is the same and our company has embraced that diversity in our customers by continually upgrading our product portfolio.